Sunday, October 13, 2013

Some good old fashioned research

I've had the opportunity this week to experience some of the joys and benefits of conducting research here in the Netherlands.  One of the goals of my research is to discover the theological foundations of Abraham Kuyper's understanding and practice of discipleship.  As I was combing through the Kuyper Bibliography, I came across a series of collected articles called "Gereformeerde Stemmen uit Vroeger en Later Tijd" - "Reformed Voices from Earlier and Later Time."  It's a series of articles by Kuyper and others that focus on instructing elders and leaders of the church for their work in ministry.  Taken together, the collection serves as a course in basic theological and practical matters for ministry.  It looks like it has the potential to be a key source in my dissertation research.  Of course, more investigation needs to be done - and fortunately, being in Kampen - I can readily take up that task.

You see, unlike much of Kuyper's writings, this book has yet to be digitized for universal access.  In addition, this is a rare book, having been published in 1896, and is held in only two libraries worldwide - at Princeton Seminary, and at the Theological University Kampen.  Now that I have an office in the TUK library, I was easily able to pull the book for further investigation.

I now get to experience the unique historian's task of working through (and translating) an old, fragile book to see what potential discoveries await.  The scene becomes even more picturesque when I take in the fullness of my surroundings - my office sits on the second floor of the TUK library, overlooking the weathered yellow-brick courtyard and additional wing of the library.  The library itself is in an abbey from the 17th century, and the wide wood-plank floors squeak and groan under foot.  Add to that the sounds of the New Tower bells (from 1648) chiming and echoing across this medieval city, and I feel primed to dig in and conduct some good old fashioned historical research.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! My mind leaps back to your office in the church in Seattle........ and you were comparing, what?! You've come along way!!!!!!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete